Dog Tag Inc. (DTI) is a living business school for transitioning veterans with service-connected disabilities, military spouses, and caregivers, empowering them to rediscover purpose and find community through a business and entrepreneurship-focused fellowship program. Our fellows gain business skills in both the classroom and in practice at Dog Tag Bakery, our social enterprise. We integrate holistic and experiential learning, challenging our fellows to apply their knowledge in our thriving, real-world bakery.
Throughout this five-month program, fellows define their individual versions of success and build a roadmap of next steps towards achieving their goals. The Dog Tag Fellowship Program provides fellows with the time, space, and resources to develop real insight into where they have been, where they are today, where they’d like to be in the future, and how they can get there. The power of this program extends beyond individual personal and professional development; our program allows fellows to find a community within their cohort, among our alumni, and across our diverse network of partners.
- Our program is being run virtually as our top priorities are the safety of the Dog Tag staff and fellows, and maintaining the quality of our program. We are currently assessing our program model to determine what a return to in person programming and timeline would look like.
- Due to our current operating model, we encourage all to apply to the DC program, those located both in and out of the DMV area. Upon acceptance into the program we will update those who have been accepted on our operating status. For the Chicago program only, all applicants must be located in the Greater Chicagoland Area.
- You will need to create a free Submittable account in order to submit these forms. Here is a quick guide on how to get started.
- This initial eligibility form should take 5-10 minutes to complete. Once you have submitted the eligibility form and it has been reviewed by Dog Tag staff, you will receive an email with a personalized link to the application. This link will be sent within 2-3 business days of your submission of the eligibility form.
- You can save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- We will follow up with you about your submission by email. Please be sure the email address you used to sign up for your Submittable account is the one that you check regularly. Please keep an eye on your spam folders as we have had issues in the past with these emails going to spam.
- If you have any questions about the application process please contact us at email@example.com.
Welcome to the Dog Tag Inc. Fellowship Program Eligibility Form.
We run a living business school for transitioning veterans with service-connected disabilities, military spouses, and caregivers, empowering them to rediscover purpose and find community through a business and entrepreneurship-focused fellowship program. Our fellows gain business skills in both the classroom and in practice at Dog Tag Bakery, our social enterprise. We integrate holistic and experiential learning, challenging our fellows to apply their knowledge in our thriving, real-world bakery.
Dog Tag Inc.'s Fellowship program combines academic coursework, professional development workshops, wellness techniques, guest speakers, and experiential learning to help our fellows figure out what they want to do next -- and how they will achieve their own individual definition of success, beyond their military-connected service.
Over the course of five months, our fellows explore a variety of career paths, learn about resources available to them, and strengthen their personal and professional networks as they develop strategic plans for plausible business ideas as well as their own futures.
The five-month fellowship program includes:
- A Certificate in Business Acumen from Loyola University Chicago’s Executive and Professional Education Center
- Hands-on learning through rotations within our small business, Dog Tag Bakery
- A capstone project, in which fellows workshop a business plan to be pitched at the end of the fellowship
- A storytelling course specifically designed for our fellows, to build confidence as they reflect on where they came from and where they want to go
- Time for integrated health and wellness techniques and reflection
- Networking opportunities with guest speakers, business leaders, and entrepreneurs
- Development of powerful soft skills that are invaluable in the civilian world
- Supportive community of like-minded peers and alumni as well as dedicated staff
- A monthly stipend, and all program-related expenses covered, so fellows do not need to use GI Bill or other military benefits to participate
- Post-9/11 military veterans (or those currently in transition) with service-connected disabilities, military spouses*, and/or caregivers
- Eager to learn and be pushed to grow
- Open to exploring entrepreneurship and civilian careers
- Willing to contribute to a community and engage in personal and professional development
- Able to commit to a full-time schedule of Monday through Thursday from 9am - 4pm
- Located in the Greater Chicagoland Area
*All military spouses are eligible regardless of spouse's military status or VA rating.
**Please note: Dog Tag does not accept married couples/domestic partners simultaneously due to the intensive nature of the program and our belief in maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
For questions about the Dog Tag Inc. Fellowship Program and the application process, please contact 202-527-9388 or Fellowship@dogtaginc.org. For technical questions, please select the Technical Help button at the bottom of your application page.